WPIX140605055949We barely had time to take a deep breath since the night time changes at PIX, bouncing Scott Stanford to sports and rolling out the red carpet for John Muller (more in a moment), when another salvo struck.

The PIX (early) Morning News was upended today, right before our eyes. Marysol Castro, who rejoined Channel 11 in September, anchored for the final time today. Tuned In confirmed it from multiple sources and she alluded to her dismissal in the closing seconds with on-air partner Dan Mannarino.

“Hey dude, it was nice knowing you,” Castro told Mannarino.

“It was fun,” he replied.

As for Mannarino, his status is a bit muddy. He’s been part of numerous rumors for months. But we’ve learned on good authority that Mannarino is taking some time off to decide on his future. Another definite, if Mannarino returns it won’t be behind the anchor desk.

WPIX140605085747Ironically, the PIX Morning News celebrated its 14th anniversary today. As they signed off, Sukanya Krishnan may have tipped off viewers to Mannarino’s plans, “Dan, I will cry every day.”

That’s not all for the PIX changes in the morning. With Castro out and Mannarino uncertain, the station is cutting back newscasts. Starting June 16, Tuned In has learned, Krishnan and Kori Chambers will anchor an expanded broadcast from 5 to 9 a.m.

Messages left for WPIX were not returned.

Castro’s exit is yet another discredit of news director Mark Effron’s work. Sources say Effron is largely a figurehead as major decisions are being made by GM Rich Graziano and/or Tribune exec Katherine Green.

Perhaps in one last power play, the station press release regarding the Stanford move stated Muller will report to Effron.

One New York broadcasting veteran says, “I’ve never seen the amount of radical change in such a short period of time in the number one market.”

An original member of the PIX Morning News in 2000, John Muller is heading back to succeed Scott Stanford on June 23.

The current morning crew welcomed Muller back, with a brief mention Wednesday. Krishnan was smiling broadly, but meteorologist Linda Church took it to another level (see video below). She started with an off-mic chant, “I love him, I love him,” followed by a veiled dig at management.

“I’m just so happy to see the station make such a great, smart move.”

Less fanfare, but Stanford still has a job at PIX.

Hired as the lead male anchor opposite Tamsen Fadal in September, Stanford now is charged with rebuilding the sports department. We’re told that Stanford was fuming when the announcement was made earlier this week.

The question begs to be asked: Will Stanford remain at WPIX with his first love? Insiders say if Effron stays put, despite rumors to the contrary, Stanford would be more likely to walk. Still other intimate he’ll wont get (or take) an extension to his one-year contract.

Despite his likeable personality, Stanford has had a hard time crossing over to news, never leaving his comfortable sports delivery far behind.

“More than anything, this is an embarrassment for Scott within the industry,” an insider speculates. “Not so much with the general public, but within the industry.”

Of course, there’s plenty of egg on the face to go around. Effron made the call to hire Stanford with his extremely limited news anchoring experience. Having said that, Effron, Graziano or whoever should have given Stanford more time to get acclimated.

“I think Mark is a dead man walking. He could get a job in another state at another station,” a source says. “Scott is the face of the station. He has to continue to be here, live here, and work here.”

Another PIX insider says the news director’s poor decision-making is his Achilles’ heel.

“[Stanford] seems like a nice guy who made the mistake of trusting Effron’s judgment.”

Photos: tveyes.com

80 thoughts on “Marysol Castro Out, Dan Mannarino Uncertain, as WPIX Cuts Early Morning Newscast

1. Carl

I am NOT surprised PIX 11 left Marysol Castro & Dan Mannerino go because of their lack of professionalism on broadcasted TV news. I was appalled how many times Marysol had everyone on her news hour constantly pronouncing/correcting people how to say her first name, or her saying her full name every 10-15 minutes. And Dan was always plugging his on/off broadway productions. I DO NOT watch a local news station for entertainment, ONLY NEWS, and none of the other journalists perform this way. I have the upmost respect for Suki, Cori, Linda, Lisa, the doctor, etc. they are very professional no nonsense people and fine journalists. Their main mission is to report the local news not to promote/solicit themselves like Marysol & Dan did. I will not miss Marysol or Dan sorry folks!

1. Charlie DePrimo

Sorry To See Marysol Go She Must Feel Sad Leaving CBS For Wpix And Not Shes Out Dan The Man Is COOL love to see syki on early and kori dont loos any more reporters the are going over to fox Aurther, kerry Whos Next??Best To Suki hope you guys dont drop her

1. Mike

Dan manarino is the young blood of the station. They need that young infusion in pix. Kori chambers should be paired with brenda blackman and suki paired with either kaity tong or criag treadway!!

1. Mike

The ONLY person i trust on pix 11 news is linda church and Mr.G. Hey Mr.G, get all of the kids on your job together and make them fly right. You have been there the longest and should have some kind of power. These are your KIDS, smack them into shape. Lol

2. Carlytto Lee

Smh, PIX is horrible. Why the hell is Suki still there? That’s who they need to get rid of. She should have never came back when Lynne White was fired. Every time she’s missing on air, I’m praying that it finally happened and no, she’s just on one of her many vacations.

1. Candy Avelene

I couldnt agree more, every time I Suki the Pig smiling in front of the camera I’m like why in heavens name is she still there? shes so annoying. They might as well call the morning show the Suki Show because thats what its about. It seems they can’t get rid of her no matter what cuz she has ties to some big names. They need to stop getting rid of everyone else and just fire HER.

3. Pete

I will no longer watch wpix news. It was a mistake to let Marysol Castro go and I will no longer watch in support. Sorry to see her go.

4. A MELENDEZ

THE ONLY REASON I WATCHED PIX WAS TO SEE “MARISOL CASTRO”. I HOPE SOME LOCAL CHANNEL PICKS HER UP SOON.

1. Tojo

So very disappointed about this move! I loved the 4:00 am morning show with Marysol and Dan and was ecstatic when they brought her back. I really wish they would get rid of Cory!!!!! He lacks warmth, has no charm and doesn’t mesh well with the rest of the crew and I’m really not feeling any of the new ladies either!!!!

5. c kozler

Marysol and Dan should stay. Get rid of the news director and whom ever is responsible for all of these knee jerk decisions made in the past years. Kori and suki are worst team that I can remember in years. What smart and attractive woman is a threat to suki now , Lisa mateo, Linda church. I’m done with pix news.

1. Mike

I agree. Lisa mateo needs to watch her back because i see jealousy in suki’s eyes. Why not just pair Dan mannarino with craig treadway and move forward. Sukanya NEEDS TO GO. She comes across as the KNOW IT ALL. Why are the so afraid to let her go???????

6. Mari

Love Dan & Marysol, young and vibrant. Something the show need. Shame on you Pix 11. Now fix it and bring them BACK

7. BD REEMS

Time to switch the channel and watch the beautiful and brilliant lauren simonetti of fox business news

1. Robert HAMBERRY

Craig Treadway and Tiffany McElroy. That was the Best Morning News team. Tiffany has the Best Smile. So pleasant to see first thing in the Morning. I had the Added Pleasure to see that Beautiful smile. Working in the same building where WPIX is housed. And Craig, you could not meet a nicer person.

8. Roy

Kori and suki do not make a good team. They just don’t work. Something is wrong with them. I don’t know if it’s her or him. They need to keep Dan Dannarino. I don’t think pix knows what they are doing.

9. Charlotte

Sometimes I like Suki, but most times I don’t. I don’t understand why she needs to be the biggest personality in the room no matter what. Cory is ok, but I’m still having trouble warming up to him because it seems as if he’s ok playing second fiddle.

10. J.R

Wow, I liked Marysol. She had a personality. She was a good anchor. Dan is cool too and I think they balanced each other out. This sucks and I definitely won’t be watching pix morning news anymore. I’ll go to cbs. Btw the evening news at 10 used to have great anchors aswell, now, not so much.

11. Carole

I will really miss the 4a.m. hour of news, I watch it daily as I get ready for work. I love Dan Mannerino, he is great. Marysol was just settling in perfect. Huge mistake!!! Glad John Muller is returning, breaking him and Suki wad a mistake! Hope to see Dan back in an anchor seat! Please return Pix 11 morning news to its original format!!

12. AL

Wow marysol was great Her and dan where a good team pix 11 again drops the ball…move suki to another time slot bring maysol and dan back in….smh..

Oh well back to ch7 and cbs

13. F. A. Raheem

WPIX is in constant turmoil. The leadership seems to be totally out of sync. They don’t know what they want to do or who they want to do whatever it is they think they want to do. Whew! What a shame that Dan & Marysol had to be caught in the stupidity of the leadership; they are rising stars and will re-appear hopefully at a better station with better exposure. As for now, WPIX can count me as another former watcher of their morning news show; I’m going back to MSNBC. At least I know what to expect from the people who run that station.

14. dave

I was really comfortable waking up to marysol and Dan as I got ready for my work day. No stability on that station good people are always being let go, hopefully a local station will pick up marysol.

15. Joanne

I like the channel 11 morning news but if they keep on changing crew like they are doing, im going to look for another channel to get my news from!!!

16. L Williams

It appears that Wpix, rather then keeping good reporters that report the news, prefer to keep loud obnoxious anchors who feel that the program is all about them, yes Im referring to Suki and Kori. Dan was a excellent beat reporter as well as a great anchor, and Marisol made a good partner. As of this morning my wife and I have sworn off of Wpix morning news.

17. Bobby

Big mistake… The only reason I watched was for Marysol. I thought her and Dan were a good team as well. I think there ratings will drop more. Let’s face it sex sells and Marysol is very spicy,sexy, and attractive. WPIX you are officially dead to me.

18. Maria

WPIX is a disgrace. Now Marysol and Dan are gone.., These anchors that they hire and fire so easily are PEOPLE with families and deserve better treatment, I am so sick of just getting used to people and then they are fired. What kind of clowns are the management?

1. CAROL LEVINE

I AGREE TOO MANY CHANGES ARE NOT A GOOD THING PEOPLE LIKE CONSISTENCY. I ENJOY WAKING UP TO A FAMILIAR FACE. TURNING ON THE TV AT 4.00 IN THE MORNING IS LIKE LETTING SOMEONE INTO YOUR HOME, WHO WANTS TO LET IN STRANGERS. I AM NOW SWITCHING BETWEEN CHANNEL 2 AND 11. IF THEY LET LINDA CHURCH GO I WILL GIVE UP 11 COMPLETELY.

1. Mike

I think criag treadway,Dan mannarino,lisa mateo,Jay dow,brenda blackman,kiaty tong and the rest are perfect for the station. Sukanya is holding wpix back. LET SUKANYA GO. SHE’s a $!#%&!

1. Mike

The foundation of the pix 11 news is as follows: Linda Church, Mr.G, kate lemonte, dan mannarino,craig treadway,scott stanford. These are the major people on the show. Sukanya is definately the reason for the low ratings. Ive been watching pix 11 since i was 5yrs old. Im 53 now and moving to another news cast if sukanya isnt GONE! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

19. Sebastian J

This change makes me feel unconformable. I will still watch WPIX. How about this, remove Kori as an anchor and make him as a reporter for 10. Put John back to the mornings and bring back Frances Rivera and make a trio anchor Frances, John and Suki I would like that and keep Scott with Tamsen because theyre another great duo after Jim and Kaity. Please remove Kori, he’s boring. I think Dan is taking a break. He cant leave.

20. Thomas Soukup

Dand Mannarino and Marysol Castro have been welcome in my home for as long as they have been on WPIX. Each will move on to greater positions and demonstrate the talent the suits at WPIX have left behind. Cory adds nothing to the show except the fact the station has approved the Lionel dress code, and Suki should go have another baby and stay home. Lastly, in the 4~9 and even in the new 5~9time slot, the entire show can be told in 15 minutes. Once in a while you add a special feature on cooking, new consumer products or something similar, but never finish the segment because it’s rush, rush, rush to get back to the news traffic and weather which you have already present at least six times in the last hour. Management is demonstrating on how NOT to run a station. I too am moving on.

21. OGLATHA

If Suki wants you gone you are gone! The min I tuned in and saw her and Francis inter acting I knew Suki was not happy with her! Cori is not going to last because he has no charisma at all! He just doesn’t have it, he is more suited for the field, but what does the viewer know!

22. Jay

Not going to watch Pix 11.. letting Marysol go was a mistake.They should bring back Lynne White, Tiffany Mcelroy, Craig Treadway & keep Marysol

23. Susan

Wow, Marysol and Dan they got us going in the morning. they were great together played off each other well. The replacements stunk can not even look at them. We are going to new 12 morning and night, Bye Bye pix 11

24. Stephanie

I am definitely switching to ABC now…I loved Marysol and Dan together. I think they meshed well but they really need to let go of Sukanya she is so loud and annoying. She does take too many days off though. They change anchors like crazy. Pix just lost another viewer and they will lose more if they do not start getting their acts together it is a shame. I hope to see Dan and Marysol on other stations that respect their talents

25. Danny

I will not go far as to say that suki is a seacow but I liked Marisol I liked Frances Rivera also I do not care for the later start and I need some eye candy to start my day. So I am switching to channel 5 Juliette Huddy and some one else. Also I am disturbed by WPIX support of anything that involves Rev. Al Sharptons events. He may have paid his share of the judgement involving the Tawana Brawley but it does not redeem him in my eyes. I have removed 11 from my favorites button and will not return until I hear of something good on 11

26. Lil Bits

Well I most definately will not be watching Pix News any more. I only watched Dan and Marysol anyway because I was not feeling the Suki and Kori team. I preferred the Frances and Suki team. Get is right WPIX. Maybe the changes need to start at the top.

27. Jessie

I really looked fwd to waking up at 4am to watch the news. I am really sad . I strongly believe that airing the news at 4am is what made this channel different from the others. Now I have to wait until 5am. Ughhh…I miss you already Marysol and Dan.

28. golden

I think Dan and Marysol worked well together. They were a bit corny but I liked that about them. Kori And suki doesn’t work for me, they should have Suki with Craig and get rid of Kori. And there is nothing special about those new females. As far as getting rid of the 4am spot, that was just stupid. Now I have nothing but old shows to watch instead of the news. Glad to see John coming back, he should have never left! I hope you guys are working on the re-vamp…

29. Casy

What tha???? What’s going on at PIX 11, they want to lose viewers, that it? I did not care for Marysol as an anchor AT ALL, sorry! Hated her voice and delivery was aweful – good reporter perhaps, but NOT an anchor. Love Dan — he can’t go– but also, NOT an anchor. Can’t stand the new girl — Amy Adler is it? She hardly looks at the cam (viewer) when talking (looks at coworkers instead…just terrible) and her delivery is silly and unclear, I never know what the heck she’s saying. LOVED Chris Knowles and his wit delivering weather, but they dropped him too (that’s when I started looking for another channel to watch…) Lastly, Cory Chambers is alright, people, it’s just that the poor guy’s sitting next to Suki’s ANNOYING LOUD MOUTH! He seems baffled by her most of the time, as if thinking, “who’s this chick blo….really?? She just rolled her eyes?? She just said that LIKE THAT?? REALLY now, why is that woman still there??? She’s the reason I wont be watching anymore — you can all haver her — for an hour extra now! Ew!!)

30. skip

Bring back 4 a.m. news with Dan and Marysol they were the best team. Whom ever made this decision should be fired .

31. Liza

I am disappointed at all the staff changes at PIX11. I looked forward to watching the 4am news to start my work day!! Now I am flipping channels at 4am from boring channel 2 and channel 4!! Not good!!!

32. Dave

Wow…pix 11 changes news castors like most people change their drawers 1 Its a shame ! And I cant believe John Muller decided to come back after being ousted. And God oh God…what about poor Craig Treadway, they have moved him around like furniture. Jill Nicolini, Emily Frances, etc…the list goes on and on ! Too bad i can’t remember all the names of the anchor people pix11 has cut loose…SHAME ON YOU PIX 11

33. Stuart C. Hellinger

No John Muller today. He’s not listed as the anchor at 5PM and 11PM for this week and next, even though as of last Friday he was listed as the anchor with Tamsen. Maybe he bolted already?

Sorry about their cutting Marysol. She’s been shafted a few times at different stations. She’s good at whatever she does.

34. javier

That just sucks! Just found out. I thought Marysol was on vacation. Time to find another news channel. Gonna miss you Marysol.

35. Joe

DAN NEEDS TO COME BACK AFTER HE’S IN TEXAS AND ANCHOR. IF THEY HAVE A WEEKEND MORNING NEWSCAST CRAIG TREADWAY AND KIRSTEN COLE NEED TO ANCHOR(EHY DID THEY GET RISE OF KIRSTEN ANYWAY) WHAT THEY REALLY NEEED TO IS GET RID OF MARK EFRON. RICH GRAZIANO NEEDS TO GROW A SET, BE A MAN AND GET RID OF MARK EFRON BECAUSE HE DID NOTHING BUT RUIN THE STATION AND BECAUSE OF THAT THEY LOST ALOT OF VIEWERS INCLUDING ME HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS PIX. GET IT TOGETHER AND DO SOMTHING RIGHT

36. Sammy

Seriously Kori Chambers needs to go..he always appears perplexed sitting next to Suki..looking at her like he’s hearing the news for the first time..None of the new girls are cutting it..they need to bring back Dan & Marysol..poor Craig Treadway..he’s not even featured in the Pix 11 promo anymore yet he’s almost always the first anchor they go to in a live report..Scott Stanford is as dull a doorknob..somebody spray tan him..he looks so ashen and old..Pix needs to shake it up again or they will be losing viewers.

37. John Montero

I have been a WPIX morning news viewer for all of the 14 years. I dropped Comcast when they moved the station and I could no longer view the show. I am very disappointed by the recent changes. I really like Marysol Castro and was happy when she returned to the show. I loved Francis Rivera. I think Kristen Cole should have a bigger role on the show. You can get rid of Cory. I am glad John Muller is back, too bad he is not returning to mornings. I will start checking out other morning shows. I don”t like the new direction you WPIX is taking.

38. Mr. Magoo

Good riddence Marisol. When she was the PIX helicopter reporter, she would never joke around or become part of the on-air ‘schtick’ – always stonefaced and blurting out “I just get paid to do the news – thats what they pay me to do” This caused obvious tension back at the anchor desk when the were trying to create a light hearted banter. Then she leaves and shows up on Sundays on WABC doing weather. Finally back at WPIX, she sits as a morning anchor stonefaced and serious 100% of the time. This was always a major turn off. Please don’t come back on the NYC airwaves, Marisol. You seem like a prude.

39. sean

I cannot believe the removed the 4 am news to put on the Jefferson , hello , I guess I’m to start watching another news station. Bad decision making,

40. Pres

I only watched the show because of marysol castro she was so sey and sunny and I’m so in love with her….

41. Jeffrey Baldwin

I’ve been watching pix news from 1982. Fired Lynne White for Suki. That was the beginning of a long succession bad decisions. Tiffany McElroy, Linda Lopez, Jill, Francis, Dan, Julie, to name a few. All let go yet Suki the pig somehow is still there. My 30 + years ends today.

42. john ortega

Im really sad about what happened with the early show news, and specially for Marysol ( i love her) and because of this im changing to ABC channel 7. Thank you.

43. Sammy

Well at least it seems like Kori is on a break… I for one am not missing him..great to see Craig Treadway back at the desk..now we’re just missing Dan Mannaraino to bring back a younger viewing demographic

44. Michelle Davis

Would anyone please tell me what happened to Kory Chambers? I haven’t watched Pix 11 Morning News for a while then when I tuned in yesterday and this morning I see Craig Treadway in Kory’s spot. ??????

45. Aris

I am disappointed at PIX11. They get rid of the best people constantly. I love Dan and Marisol. They should be the morning news cast. I will not watch this channel again. Wrong wrong wrong decisions!

46. charmaine

I loved watching Marysol and Dan, they had great energy together.
    I m sick of seeing great news anchors being forced out
    but they keep Suki. shes terrible
    I m done with pix 11

47. Louis

The Morning News is a disaster – Suki is insufferable, unbearable, unwatchable. WPIX, since that masive house cleaning 5 or 6 years ago, has been clueless. The team should be Marysol Castro & Kirstin Cole.

48. Jason

Marysol was the reason I chose to watch pix morning news every morning. Dan was cool too. Suki needs to go, as well as any members of leadership who made the decision to let Marysol and Dan go. Now I’m watching Fox News.